Recovering a settlement after a bicycle accident in Huntington Beach
Riding a bicycle on the roads of Huntington Beach can be fun but has inherent risks. It is no secret that drivers in California often don’t adhere to safety protocols and traffic rules. If you ever end up in an accident while riding your bicycle, you need to take steps to protect your rights and interests. Among other things, you have to consult injury attorneys Huntington Beach for advice on your case. Here’s more on recovering a settlement.
The immediate steps
Bicyclists and motorcyclists are at a greater risk of sustaining serious injuries in an auto crash for obvious reasons. No matter whether you had a share in fault or not, you need to take the steps below –
- Call 911. Don’t ignore your injuries after the accident. Even if there are no evident symptoms right away, check with a doctor. Call 911 for immediate medical assistance.
- Inform the police. Don’t try to leave the scene unless a police officer arrives. You should report the accident to the local law enforcement.
- Get the contact details. Ask for the contact details of drivers and witnesses at the scene. When you talk to the at-fault driver, get insurance info on paper.
- Note down everything. Memories fade with time, and you may not remember everything about the accident later. Ensure that you write down all details you remember.
- Take pictures. You need evidence that you were injured in the auto accident, and for that, evidence will matter. Take as many pictures of the accident scene and your injuries as possible.
The first meeting with an accident lawyer
There are law firms in Huntington Beach that can help you recover a fair amount for your accident lawsuit. Note that the worth of your claim may vary on many factors, and it is wise to hire an attorney you can trust for their expertise. Get all the medical records and documents you have to help the lawyer evaluate your claim. It is also necessary to be honest with the lawyer. If you had a share of fault in causing the auto accident, you might have to lose a share of your awarded settlement. Your lawyer can help you evaluate all that.
Bicycle accidents often cause devastating losses and serious injuries. Make an effort to preserve your interests so that you can get compensated for your losses, especially when the other party was clearly at fault.